Home Notices Links Find Us Contact Us

PROFILE


Maxwell Mearns Castle Parish Church is a modern progressive church passionate about God's word and living it out in our community.

Our roots go back to 1864 when the original Maxwell Church was founded. Located in Pollok Street on the south side of Glasgow, it had to be closed in 1970 to make way for the Kingston Bridge, part of the M8 motorway crossing the river Clyde.

The congregation were “transported” to Newton Mearns where, for a few months, they held services in the local Kirkhill Primary School until a suitable location was found for the new church at Mearns Castle (a building which dates from 1449).

Services in the Castle began in June 1970 under the leadership of the late Rev William Arbuckle.

 

A nucleus of members from the old Maxwell were joined by a growing number of local people and soon the available seats were all filled by adults with children on laps.

 

The church hall was a modified site-hut in the unsurfaced, muddy car park. There we held Sunday Schools, Castle Groups, Ceilidhs, parties and sales. Sometimes it was very cold but the fellowship was warm.

 

Each week we surveyed the progress “over the cliff” as the new church and halls block took shape, but the Castle had a special atmosphere and wonderful acoustics. It is a pity we were unable to maintain the Castle for occasional use.

 

Following the retirement of Rev W. Arbuckle, we were joined in 1982 by Rev Sandy Roger until 1992 when he left to become Prison Chaplain for Scotland.

 

We were joined in 1993 by Rev David Cameron until 2009 when he left to become minister of Dalmeny and Queensferry in 2009.

 

Following a 2 year vacancy with locum minister Rev. John Martindale, we were joined in May 2011 by our present minister Rev. Dr. Scott Kirkland and his family.

 

Maxwell Mearns Castle members are actively involved in Christian activities in the wider community, including Prison Ministry, Scripture Union, Spring Harvest, Summer Missions, missionary and aid work and Bible translation.

 

Our purpose is to be a welcoming Christian community where all are able to discover Christ and grow in faith and, by the power of the Holy Spirit, be encouraged to follow Christ’s teaching by serving God in the church, the parish and the world.